It happens from time to time that a Customer terminates contract with HRMTS, and wants to export their data from the databases. For this purpose, HRMTS offers a Standard Export.
Although all HR systems share some common traits, they differ a lot, especially under the hood. This difference are most obvious in the way these systems organize and store their data in the databases. Therefore, it is always a challenge to migrate all data from one system to another. For one system to read data from another system, it must establish mappings (so called connections) between data fields. E.g. for system A to read first name of a user from system B, it needs to know where and how the first name is stored in system B. The system B might be storing this information in a way that makes sense to system B, but not to system A.
Except for some basic data, it is rarely possible to map all data fields from one system to another. To make the matters worse, even though the functionality of a system may be well documented for its end-users, the databases are almost never documented on a detailed level - at least not in way that can be shared with other systems. Without such information, it is extremely difficult to create the required mappings to migrate data from one system to another.
- The Customer owns their data stored in HRMTS database.
- HRMTS stores its data in a SQL database that consists of over 1000 tables and many thousand columns.
- This database is not documented for reading and understanding by external parties (e.g. Customer or other systems).
- Even if HRMTS would provide a copy of the database to the Customer, it would be extremely difficult for them to find proper information in it due to lack of documentation.
- A lot of information in the database is also proprietary, and will not make sense to external readers.
There exist many opinions on how data can and should be migrated from one system to another. And nevertheless, there are strong advocates for these opinions. Needless to say, they all present valid arguments too. Over the years, HRMTS has collaborated closely with Customers, both joining and leaving HRMTS, and concluded that an export based on HR-XML has worked best for the most.
The standard end-of-contract export includes following:
- Each candidate’s data in HR-XML format (version 2.5), along with attachments. (See hropenstandards.org for more information.)
Excel file showing the mappings between departments, users, projects, candidates and applications.
- The deleted candidates are not included.
- The open HR-XML format makes it easy for next system to import it.
- Each candidate is exported to a folder with following contents:
Variations of Standard Export
Each candidate in the System has a global profile. This is where the candidate maintains her latest information. Whenever the candidate starts applying for a new position, a copy of the global profile is used to create an application. From this point, the candidate can change the information in the application according to the position's requirement without modifying the global profile. Based on this, each candidate has exactly one global profile in the System, but may have more than one applications. Hence, the standard export is offered in two variations:
- Export global profile of each candidate.
- Exports only global profiles of the candidates.
- Does not export applications.
- Export applications of each candidate.
- Exports applications submitted by the candidates.
- Does not export global profile.
- For each application, an additional PDF is created with project specific information.
The standard export is a quite heavy job, and can take quite some time to complete. It is normally executed in the weekends. Once the job is complete, both random and systematic checks are performed to ensure that the data is exported properly. The results are then packed into a ZIP file, and uploaded to the SFTP provided by the Customer.
The standard export has a fixed cost. (Please consult your regional office for the price.) The Customer is free to choose one of the variations above (1 or 2). If they want both, then they must pay double.
Exporting Additional Information
If the Customer wants any additional information than what the scope of standard export includes, then it must be considered as a custom order. This job will be estimated separately based on the criteria specified by the Customer.
- HRMTS does not have an SFTP server where they can put the exported data to be downloaded by the Customer. Therefore, the customer must supply an SFTP location of their own where the export can be uploaded.
- Other online storage locations can be considered as well, such as Azure or AWS. The Customer must then provide credentials to the store where to upload the export.
- This export is usually in the size of Gigabytes, and cannot be sent over email.
- It is also not possible for HRMTS to deliver the export on DVD.